Jan 29, 2013

Mentoring is a two-way path!



I love to reunite with former students, currently, brother in arms in Touristology’s battles. I was a mentor to them, nowadays... well they mentor me back! They’re my eyes and ears in the vast possibilities to develop a career in the tourism sector. Of course, I try to keep up to date with books, article, blogs, doing consultancy, or setting up a new start-up BUT nothing can beat the customized information that my Touristologists desire to share with me.

I cannot be everywhere at the same time... Unless, I’m not alone! My Touristologists and I make a successful team!

A case in point, a few days ago after finishing my class I met with a professional in the tough life of urban hotel management. We talked about the role of a Yield /Reveneu Management in hotels. I was telling him/her that Revenue Managers have to be at the top of the hierarchy. At least, this is my experience working with big international chains and small and medium size hotels where the manager has studies related to Tourism. This is also the idea that I get reading articles that I shared in Twitter 

To me Revenue Manager has to think about new segments, customize the service (servuction remember) build chains of value (1,2,3 theory rings a bell?). They must excel in analysis tools related to big data and financial issues. They have to know about web-engineering in order to now when it is better to buy a solution or make a new one from scratch. They have to know how to integrate these solutions making departments working together and chains of value acting as a unique entity!

All this is only possible if you have access to all the information. Only, if you can see and improve the inter-departmental connections. Only if you can build relationships with all the members of the chain of value!
Yes Jordi, I agree, BUT this is not the case in my chain of hotels. Where I work - patiently explained to me the Touristologist- Reveneu managers study historical data, predict occupancy, fix prices and then put these prices in different channels of distribution. Segmentation, servuction process and channels of distribution (usually the most important OTA and CRS) are previously defined.
Touristologists, remember this! I know that you are eager to begin working. You also want to earn money, but in order to become a Master in your profession you have to first pass the apprentice phase (this Christmas I really enjoyed reading “Mastery”by Robert Greene...).
In the apprentice phase you have to focus on finding the right mentor and enterprise, where you can learn the basics to become a master.
Don’t focus on salary now (if you can!) focus on creating powerful roots, the reward will come later with prosperous career and respect from your colleagues. Then you could become a mentor yourself and let Touristology run its eternal cycle!!
The same day when I got home I talked through the internet with some of my Touristologists. They are international warriors working in a flat world.
Portuguese in Dominican Republic...
Catalans in Swansea
Italians is USA... We have different backgrounds and culture, but one thing in common... The world is our Office and we love Tourism sector!

They help me to advise future Touristologists how to become international warriors! Of course, all universities have an internship department and they are good at their task BUT nothing can beat My Touristologists desiring to share their experience to the next batch/crop of Touristologists!
I mentor them... then they mentor me back! I love Touristology!
 



No comments:

Post a Comment