Feb 5, 2013

Two new REAL digital natives.



My daughter and my son have been asking for a tablet for a long time. I always reply the same “You will get a tablet when you are able to program your own applications” But this is unfair - they reply- other parents give a tablet without conditions. It’s possible- I calmly reply.

My capacity to stay calm, keep smiling and reduce the anger of my children without making concessions is growing every year! 21 years being a lecturer in Tourism and 26 years being a teacher have to provide some features/abilities!

So, in the last two years I set up an eclipse environment where my children develop basic apps (Geolocalization, connection to a database to save, return and delete basic information, access to web services …) Finally, they get something decent.


Now they have a tablet. Can we now download and play with games? YES! But first let’s pass the application to the tablet…

Pff…How do you pass the app from eclipse to a tablet?

Well, there are many ways but to me this seems the best.

Go to File Explorer view… then…

/data/app/ 

Select the .apk related to the application and… Push a file onto the device!

Sometimes a picture is worth a thousand words:


Easy peasy…

But this is not an awesome application Dad! I know. Do you know what makes it so special? The fact that you think and create your own app. Now, you can call yourselves two REAL digital natives!

Are your Touristologists able to do that, Dad? My son asks me. Sure! They know that to be a successful Touristologist apart from Touristology’s framework they have to develop language skills (especially English) and web-engineering skills (especially webservices and web-scraping) in a multiplatform environment.

Sometimes it is hard but it’s mandatory. Don’t you believe me? Maybe you agree with a man called Eric Schmidt asking for teaching Art & Science together. Please watch this video.

Does Consilience ring a bell?

As Zach Sims co-founder of Codeacademy claims in this article

“We all have the ability to create more and not just consume on the web.”

My children are not special, apart from good genes from the best Psychopedagogist in town (I think she is with me because I am a clinical case!!!) So, if they can do it…this semester my Touristologists will learn to program for a tablet or mobile. They already learn about databases (SQL and NoSQL), program languages (Java) and basic skill with HTML, Jquery and CSS. The only thing that I have to do it is to add the mobile layer. Almost all my Touristologists carry a tablet or smartphone. All of them are able to design an application and they know how to integrate a chain of value inside. Now it’s time that they create and distributed their own apps!
Do you want to become a REAL digital native? Welcome to the best science ever: Touristology!


1 comment:

  1. Good share for motivation! Is there any contribution of PHP in apps developments? Your children have done a great job to be skilled on Html, css, Sql. I hope your children success.

    ------Md. Shariful Islam
    Revenue Management

    ReplyDelete