Dec 10, 2013

What’s up? Not so much, really!

The other day I was talking with one of my favorite Touristologists. We were talking about mobile ecosystem and how it can change our beloved sector.
She/He explained to me the wonderful features that whatsapp provides.
You have to subscribe to the service, then you can create a group (or others add you to one group) and you have free and collaborative instant communications. You can use this in a Hotel to improve the communication between employees and customers, in a trip organized for a travel agency… the opportunities are endless…Groups is one of our mantra words, remember?
It seems a good idea to me - I reply - But far away from the Cambrian explosion that, I’m sure, new technologies, new typologies of tourism and Touristology (I mean YOU, Touristologists!!!)  will bring!
And when will this Cambrian revolution be, Jordi?
I reply what I always said… when this mobile app allows that departments inside an enterprise and enterprises inside a chain of value can work as a single organization. We can review the attempt of WorldMate to do so, here! Otherwise, whatsapp is just the mobile version of a chat. Good to know, good to use BUT, definitely, not a re-evolution!
I love to talk with different generations of Touristologists. I love to see how they are so different from other generations but, at the end of the day, so similar!
To explain what pinterest is to my young Touristologists I have to say… It is like instagram. When I have to explain instagram to the-forever-young-at-heart Touristologists I have to say that it’s like pinterest!
What puzzles me is that they (both) believe that the good think is the one they are doing. The capacity to add layers of abstraction over practical things in order to get a theory is something, though fundamental, is hard to achieve.
We have to work in this Touristologist. We are the best minds working in the best sector ever. We have to see all the possibilities, create our own framework and apply it, to each situation, in a customized way. This is what Touristology is all about!!!
By the way…. at the end of our meeting the Touristologist asked me
- Do you use whatsapp Jordi?
- No, I don’t!
- How on earth is it possible that you claim to be an expert in Touristology and Web-enginnering?!?!?
- How is it possible that you claim to be a digital native? Digital natives are the ones that use AND create the tools !!!!!
So, become a real digital native, understand and know ALL the tools (not just the ones from your generation), learn to use them in order to coordinate departments and chain of value members, then create your own framework…
Then enjoy the view from Touristology’s knowledge mountain. There is always a better view from the top!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment