Jan 21, 2014

I like Mixtures!

I like Mixtures… Consilience is a mixture, Touristology is a mixture, Speaking, Writing, Reading… Thinking in three languages is a mixture, coding in three languages is a mixture…
The other day, I handed out the final test to my Touristologists.
- You can answer it in Catalan, Spanish or English. You can mix the three languages if you wish… I like Mixtures!!!- I say to them trying to be funny in order to keep their nerves at bay!!!
While I was waiting for my Touristologist to give in the final test, I began to think about what I had just said… I like mixtures… Ummm, someday I will have to write about this…
People which only speak/read/write… THINK in a single language are not better. The excuse /argument … “I speak only one language BUT better than you” It’s only an excuse for lazy minds.
Developers which only code in one language are not better developers. Usually, A-players can deal with more than one language, usually they’re full-stack developers. It doesn’t matter if you are talking about Java, Python or Javacript (You can name the languages you prefer. I just give my selection!).
Steve Jobs gave a very interesting insight about programming and A-players. Who better than himself to explain this:


Are you an A-player? Interested in Tourism? Do you like the way I propose to mix Touristology and Web-Engineering? We, definitely, have to talk!!!!
I love full-stack developers, I love polyglots!!!
Jordi!? What on earth has this mixture thing got to do with Touristology!!!?!??! Plenty Touristologists!
First, languages AND web-engineering are important for anyone and I, strongly, believe that especially for Touristologists.
Who wants the world be his/her office more than a Touristologists?
Who wants to provide services before, during and after a trip making all departments and members of the chain of value work as a single organization?
Don’t even try to achieve that without Internet and associated technologies and a set of languages, Touristologists!!!
Second, because Touristology, as a science, needs open minded people ready to deal with different ideas, concepts, frameworks, tools… from Economy, Psychology, Sociology, Engineering, Geography… For that reason I claim to be a consilient thinker. To me there’s only one science as Edward Wilson explained I his seminal book “Consilience”.
The knowledge of any decent Touristologist enables him/her to deal with any kind of enterprise. We know how to deal with the main opportunities-threats nowadays enterprises are facing Internationalization, multiculturality issues, customer integration into the organization (I mean the Chain of Value, of course!!!) web 2.0.. You name it!
Wow! Definitely, Touristologists are intellectual warriors!
Wow! Definitely, Touristology is a science!!!
By the way, remember the exam we talked about at the beginning of the post? Guess what…most of my Touristologists choose to do the final test in English! I couldn’t be prouder of them!

No comments:

Post a Comment